Homefront is essentially a legion of volunteers who reach out to the needs of homeless families in Mercer County. They work to give families the skills and opportunities to earn an adequate income and to increase the availability of adequate, affordable housing. The ultimate mission of Homefront is to end hunger and homelessness in Mercer County, NJ.
Since Homefront is not a government agency, they are dependent on contributions of food, clothing, furniture, and household goods to help the families they work with. Financial donations make special programs possible. Homefront’s programs include:
- Help people find and secure jobs, transportation, affordable housing and whatever else they need to become self-sufficient.
- Deliver hot meals to as many as 280 homeless people and children living in the “welfare motels” along Route One.
- Arrange special educational and recreational activities for the children confined to the motels.
- Distribute clothing, furniture toys toiletries and cookware\
- Sponsor classes in parenting nutrition job skills and other topics